Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ran 4 miles outside!

First off I have to say how happy I am to be running outside again. I'm finally secure enough with my knee I don't have to run on a treadmill (for fear the knee pain randomly appears I didn't want to be stranded 2 miles away from my house lol). It felt sooo good to be outside. The neighbors probably thought I was nuts though since I was grinning ear to ear and singing along with my IPOD. I don't care though, I bet they can't run 4 miles :)

And on another note, more self-discovery on this recovery process. Last night a friend came over and while we were discussing life he told me he was actually happy I injured my knee. He told me that I used to the be the girl that everyone thought was nuts because of how much I loved running, and how happy I always was when I was talking about or doing it. Then after I started training for the marathon I didn't seem so happy about running...

I was obviously upset and was about to tell him that he was wrong and I was the happiest marathon training girl ever...

and then I realized he was kinda right. I loved training for the marathon because I felt powerful and strong and special and like I could do something very few people could. It was a great accomplishment. But it did leave me incredibly tired, a lot of the time. Even my midweek runs would sometimes be really hard simply because my legs were so dead from the weekend. I have to admit, going out there today and busting out 4 miles without feeling much more than one or two "I'm kinda getting tired" thoughts was absolutely amazing. It's kinda nice not having "dead legs" :D

Not saying I don't want to train for another marathon, I definitely do. I'm just pointing out some more positives of recovery :) Fresh legs!

Now off to eat a petite breaded chicken breast stuffed with broccoli and cheese (in the frozen food aisle - AMAZING) and a garlic biscuit. Yum!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Broccoli-Cheese-2-Servings-Stuffed-Chicken-Breasts/13908638

^^ go buy them, seriously, amazing!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you!!! :) You seem very happy. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. I think that that friend told you is so true. I think I've learned similar things along my running journey. You want to do a marathon and not be tired. You want to enjoy the training. It may just take some time to build up to that. Do not fret!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very happy for you! glad it felt great and glad you are happier again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I've heard my wife say more than once "I'll be happy when this marathon training is over!". Apparently, people training for marathons can be a bit tired all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's pretty normal to be burned out with running during marathon training. It definitely took me some time to "love" running again after I finished last year. It's great that you're seeing the "silver lining" in this situation and just appreciating running for how it makes you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Good for you! I wish I could have seen you running by.

    I would have first been offended by what he said too. I am happy you weren't and aren't as worn out!

    ReplyDelete