Saturday, November 27, 2010

10 miler and Reflections

So I ran 10 miles today. That was the last thing I wanted to do before I was officially "okay" with registering for the OUC half marathon next weekend. I told myself if this run went well, I could go ahead and sign up. Well, the run went well! So I guess you'll be seeing me at OUC in 7 days!

This long run was special for a couple reasons. First, it was in Phoenix! Georgous georgous city. I love the scenery here but the dryness is bothering me a bit. My throat stuck to itself when I tried to swallow and my skin kinda hurt when it became too salt loaded (it felt kind of sunburned from the dried salt).
















The second reason it was special was because I started running exactly a year ago today. I think I went about 1 mile? My first real year as a runner. I set goals, achieved most of them, and really transformed myself into what I really believe will be a lifetime runner. So, I guess I just want to spend a little time reflecting on where I've been this year.

I started running exactly a year ago, after Thanksgiving dinner with my parents. They ran a half marathon that weekend and inspired me to begin running.

Goals for 2010:

-4 Miles (Ran 2/14/2010 in 37:30 - 9:22/mile)
-5 Miles (Ran 4/27/10 Pace 10:25)
-6 Miles (Ran/Walked 6 1/2 miles 3/14/2010 in 01:09:40)
-8 Miles (Ran/Walked 3/21/2010 - 1:26 - 10:43/mile)
-9 Miles (Ran/Walked 4/29/2010 - 1:33 - 10:17pace
-10 Miles (Ran/Walked 5/6/2010 @ 11:25/mile)
-12 Miles (Ran/Walked 5/20/10 11:27/mile)
-14 Miles Ran/Walked on 6/3/2010 @ 10:53/mile
-16 Miles Ran/Walked on 7/1/2010 in 3 hrs (11:17 pace)
-18 Miles (Reached 8/7/2010 in 4 hrs)
-20 Miles
-22 Miles
-Break 26:57 on a 5k (Reached 3/28/2010)
-Complete a 10k (or a race of similar distance) (Completed 11/25/2010 in 39:38 - 8:42/mi)
-Complete a half marathon (Reached 8/1/2010 in 2:27:11)
-Complete a full marathon
-Run 4 days in one week (Reached 2/21/2010)
-Start Cross training 2x/week
-Start Strength training 2x/week (Started week of 3/22/2010)
-Keep up core work (@ least 2x/week) for 6 weeks (Reached sometime in April)
-Wear out a pair of running shoes :D

So as you can see, I met a lot of them. Never made it past 18 miles on a long run, and I never did complete my marathon but I'm okay with that. I don't really know how to judge the cross training goal because I did cross train for a while, but not in the way I had originally planned when I made that goal. So, overall I'm really happy with this list.

My achievements (PR's):

1m:   7:58 (7:58/mi)
5k:   26:39 (8:36/mi)
4m:   34:01 (8:31/mi)
10k:  53:58 (8:42/mi)
Half: 2:27:12 (11:14/mi)

I'm also really happy with those times :) I haven't run a 5k since March though so I really need to do another one soon. I have a feeling it's going to be a PR since my 4 miler pace is actually faster than my 5k pace! I also haven't done a 1 mile test since February......... one of these days :)

So, all in all I'm really happy with 2010. I'm not setting 2011 goals **yet**. I'm going to make a post about that closer to New Years. I have a feeling it'll be success just if I can keep running regularly as I'm going to start my "big girl" job on January 3rd and will have a whole lot less time to work with! It's been great just being in college and having such a flexible schedule.

Alrighty, that's it for now! Good luck to all my space coast runners this weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Lauren! You've accomplished a lot this year!! Keep up the great work. Good luck at your half next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've come a long way in a year! Have fun at the HM next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear that you've recovered from your knee injury. It can be so easy to push toward a goal too hard and then injure yourself (I've done it...). Also, congrats on the big girl job, I guess this means you've graduated from college. So congrats on that too :). Looking forward to hearing if you're planning a marathon for 2011.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I'm also really happy with those times :) I haven't run a 5k since March though so I really need to do another one soon. I have a feeling it's going to be a PR since my 4 miler pace is actually faster than my 5k pace! I also haven't done a 1 mile test since February......... one of these days :)


    I simply like this fulfilling lines...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, these are all major accomplishment in your first year of running. I know people who have run for years and haven't attempted the distances you've covered. Be proud of them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great accomplishments! So rewarding to actually see them on paper I'm sure! Nice work on the 10 mile and good luck with the half!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary! What a great way to celebrate and wow those are times are great. If that's what you did on your first year, I can't wait to see what year 2 brings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your four-miler includes your 5K PR.

    You accomplished a ton of goals in 2010, nothing to sneeze at!

    ReplyDelete