Saturday, January 1, 2011

My First Year as a Runner

So, 2010 was one of the best years of my life. I can remember saying the same thing about 2009 a year ago but if I had to choose I'd pick 2010 as the NEW best year of my life. This post is going to be running related, yes, but also life related. Because I think the two tend to intertwine.

What happened in 2010?
  • Running-Related
    • I started running (technically started December 2009 but only ran 18 miles the entire year lol)
    • I ran 866 miles
    • I completed two half marathons, a 10k, 4 miler, and several 5k's
    • I completed an 18 mile run
    • I learned about ice baths, ibuprofen, compression stuff, knee braces, IT straps, athletic tape, and the importance of real, unadulterated rest.
    • I overcame shin splints
    • I overcame runners knee in my RIGHT knee (left knee is now acting up but I'm not going to focus on that :D)
    • I joined an amazing training program and met some awesome people
  • Other-Life Things
    • Started and finished grad school
    • Passed the CPA exam
    • Moved into a 1 bedroom apt, living ALONE for the first time
    • First time since 5th grade I've been single for an entire year
    • Grew up a little :)
 So yeah, this year has been amazing. As for 2011 I have three main goals.

Goal #1: Marathon!!!
I'm going to run a full marathon in 2011. I'm stoked

Goal #2 Balance
I'm starting a VERY demanding job in 2 days and it's going to take a LOT out of me. I need to focus on maintaining work-life balance. Hopefully goal #1 will help with goal #2 because it'll be harder to just be "too tired" to workout if I have a goal in mind. At least, I'm hoping.

Goal #3 Overcome Fear
I'm absolutely terrified about starting this next part of my life, and as cheesey as it sounds I think a big reason I'm terrified is because I'm single and I feel like I'm facing it alone. I know I can do it, I'm just scared about what "doing it" entails. So, I want to try to stop being so scared and just... enjoy the ride :) I have a beautiful life. I've worked incredibly hard to achieve it, and now it's time to reap the benefits.

And just for fun, some pics from 2010!

One of my first 5k's
















Don't I look like I'm in pain?? lol
























 Still in pain...
























 My new Garmin watch in March! I was in love...


















My training schedule in March (when I started training for my marathon)


















  The 5k where I PR'ed and got 3rd  my age group!


















 Meeting up with Redhead Runner and Aimless Runner!

















First Ice Bath!


















First (and last) 18 miler!

















Running with my mom @ the Elmhurt 4 miler!


















 My hat signed by Jeff Galloway himself!


















Meeting Jeff Galloway with Girl Running!


















First Gu experience


















 Me after my first Half Marathon
























Me running my first half marathon
























My medal from my first half marathon!


















More medal!


















 After my first 10k!


















  After the OUC Half Marathon


















 Running the OUC Half!
























That's it Folks!

9 comments:

  1. Great year Lauren!! Your goals for 2011 are so reachable. I remember how distinctly frightening it was to finish school but you know what? It's pretty awesome. Obviously with your chosen profession you will be mighty busy the next few months, but once that is behind you, you will be amazed at how much free time there is to be enjoyed in life! I wish you the best of luck on all of your goals. Oh and I love your side tattoo. I love tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A marathon is definitely doable (is that really a word?). And yes, training does get in the way of work (or is it the other way around). Try not to worry about "facing it alone". These things are all temporary, and life has a way of throwing curveballs when you least expect them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recap, and I love the pictures! Best of luck in 2011...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a great year and best wishes in the year to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on ALL your accomplishments! I can't wait to see 2011 pictures when you cross that Marathon finish line! You have such a great outlook and positive attitude!!! You are going to do great this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great year for you! :) I never realized you had just started running last december! Wow! You're awesome! Good luck with your goals for the year. Can't wait to hear about you conquering the marathon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren, you made some major accomplishments this year and this is only your first year of running! Looking forward to reading about more milestones

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! A job well done. Sounds like 2011 will bring many firsts. Don't worry about the single thing. You will learn to be a stronger woman and focus on friends and yourself. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a great year! The way you have been progressing, you'll handle that marathon no problem!

    ReplyDelete